Equal Opportunity is the right of all persons to enter, study and advance in academic programs on the basis of merit, ability, and potential without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or status as a veteran.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the right of all persons to work and to advance on the basis of merit, ability, and potential without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, religion, disability, age or status as a veteran.
Equal Opportunity is the law and discrimination is prohibited by laws such as:
- Title VI and VII Civil Right Acts of 1964, as amended
- Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974
- Executive Order 11246, as amended
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973, including Section 503 and 504
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990/Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008
Commitment...The University of Memphis is committed to maintaining a learning and working environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Responsibility.... All members of the University community have a shared responsibility to see that Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action procedures are considered in