Master of Science in Biostatistics (MS)
The goal of the MS in Biostatistics program is to train students for positions in government and private health agencies, industry, and research institutes, and to
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.The MS in Biostatistics is more focused compared to MPH with Biostatistics concentration and provides and provides in depth training on biostatistical analytical tools and their related theoretical background. An MS in Biostatistics is beneficial to mid-career professionals who want to engage in population health and work in population health related research institutes, hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies.
A bachelor's degree is required for admission. It is required that an applicant have a necessary mathematical and probability background (e.g., calculus I & II and basic probability theory required, linear algebra preferred but not required).
The structured curriculum meets the competencies defined by CEPH for Academic Public Health Master's Degrees. View Curriculum >
For detailed information about the MS program, including policies, course names and descriptions, visit the Graduate Catalog.
- Students enrolled in the MS program must complete a total of 36 credit hours. This
- 6 hours of core courses
- 21 hours of biostatistics/statistics courses
- 6 hours of electives
- 3 hours of thesis (oral comprehensive exam) OR written comprehensive exam plus additional elective (3 credit hours)
- Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA (“B”). Grades of “D” and “F” will not apply toward any graduate degree, but will be computed in the GPA. No more than 7 hours of “C-“, “C,” or “C+” will be applied towards meeting degree requirements.
- All requirements for the MS degree must be completed in 8 calendar years.
Tuition and Fees
For the most current information regarding tuition, visit the University & Student Business Services' Fee Chart.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Academic Services Coordinator II
Hongmei Zhang, PhD, MS